Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pete made another bed

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pete made another bed Empty Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Well actually headboard. When his daughter saw the bed he made for my son Kelly, she said she was jealous because she and her husband have a not so nice box springs, a nice mattress on just a metal frame but never had a headboard. So because I never know what to get for the grown up kids for birthdays and anniversary etc, I latched on the idea for Pete to make a headboard out of oak and let her choose the basic design. She found one similar to this at a local furniture store so we were able to go there and take pictures and see how it was put together. Then I insisted he purchase a router table because cutting a straight slot with it just held in his hands, I guess is next to impossible. He practiced some of the cuts on pine 2 x 4s first to make sure what needed to be done. This is actually only his second attempt at something nice and the first out of oak. OH boy, now my head is spinning with ideas. Poor Pete.
Pete made another bed Headboardalmostdone

2Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Just lovely! I think I like it as much if not better than the one in the store. Will you post a picture of it once she has the matress and spread on?

So what's the next project?

3Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Yah, I think we'll take it up there this afternoon. They live about a 45 minute drive north.

Several years ago, I purchased a couple of plant stands or nicnac shelf things. One was about the height of the couch arm and the other was maybe 4.5'. You know the type of thing? You put trinkets on them and then have to dust them. So he had some oak left over and I suggested he get some more and make two plant stands for the living room. I had made some out of PVC pipe and used a tile for the shelf and they are OK and work but the oak ones would be so much nicer. It is a simple project but still gives him more experience working with nice wood. We'll see.

4Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Wow, very niiiiice!! If the daughter doesn't like it, ya'll can send it to me! Hehehe

I think you and Pete need to just start taking orders. Forget plumbing. I'm quite certain you would have more than enough business to keep you busy AND pay the bills! ex[nod]

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

5Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Don't I wish? But I've discovered that craft or hand made items never sell to get a fair return for the time invested. A person is lucky to get their money back for the materials used.

6Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Here is the headboard mounted on Cindi's bed.

Pete made another bed R__c_s10

7Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Totally. Her husband was a little put off----by the smell. I told him that the stain reeked and so did the Minwax Polyurethane. Hopefully, the smell will let up and go away soon.

8Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:11 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Beautiful! I'm sure they're thrilled. The smell will go away.

9Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

It turned out great!

10Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

I heard pounding late afternoon in the basement. I hollared, "Whatcha doing?" He said making the plant stands you wanted." WHOO HOO!!

11Pete made another bed Empty Re: Pete made another bed Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Right now he's having to glue 3-4 pieces together to get the width of the 12" x 12" shelves. I just went down there and he had two shelves glued together but dropped the third one and one of the glue joints partially came apart. So he had to reglue it. I took a picture but for some odd reason my photo recognizer on the computer isn't working.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum